Search This Blog

May 8, 2012

Sparrows

I decided that I really should take some pictures of Sparrows one morning last week given that they are my most frequent visitors. Now my Birds of Alberta book has a lot of different sparrows listed in it but low and behold, the one in the picture above wasn't listed. In an effort to identify the little fellow, I went to the Kerry Wood Nature Centre and they were able not only to identify him but knew a number of facts about him. The day after these pictures were taken, he was back at my feeders with two of his buddies. 


This is a close up of him. Notice his very distinctive markings and the bright yellow/orange bill.
I learned that he is a White Crowned Sparrow. Although native to some parts of Alberta, Red Deer is not normally part of their range. In addition I was told that the White Crowned Sparrow is relatively rare!

To have three of them show up at my feeders is quite a "happening" .